Keeping Energy Costs Down
Amid the challenges of today’s economy, there is good news to share about the supply portion of your PSE&G bill:
- Residential natural gas bills are down 31 percent since January 2009. That’s about $500 a year savings for an average gas customer.
- Residential electric bills will drop nearly 5 percent this summer.
We’d also like to share some tips and tools that can help you further reduce your summer energy bills:
- Install a programmable thermostat and raise the setting to the highest comfortable temperature. You can save 3 to 5 percent on your air conditioning costs for each degree you raise the thermostat.
- Even if you have air conditioning, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows. Eliminate air leaks around window air conditioners with foam insulation or weather-stripping.
- Close blinds, shades and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat and help fans and air conditioners cool more efficiently.
- Close doors leading to uncooled parts of your home. If you have central air conditioning, close off vents to unused rooms. Keep filters clean.
- Take advantage of PSE&G’s Home Energy Toolkit which helps you analyze your home energy use to receive customized energy saving tips.To access the Home Energy Toolkit, log in to My Account at pseg.com